Friday 15 January 2010

Introduction

Well here we are. It's only taken me around two years to finally get my arse into gear and start keeping a log of my training. I did make a rather lackluster effort some time ago to write down what I'd gone through each lesson on the Bullshido.net members section but it soon fizzed out, thanks in part to my rather shockingly bad memory and a sizable helping of laziness.

Every person that I ask for tips tells me to keep a training log and it would seem that everyone from intermediate Blue level and up is doing it so there must be something in it right? Whether it's the visualization of the techniques required to write them up in detail or the ability to go back over previous posts and look up a minor detail you may have over looked, some facet of writing everything down seems to help people further their abilities.

As I write this, I am a two stripe Blue Belt who is feeling the Christmas break really badly. This is my first full week back in class after three weeks off and I've been waking up every morning after, feeling like I've been on the receiving end of a good kicking (although technically I probably have). Tonight will be my third class of the week and I shall hopefully be able to add at least one of my weights sessions next week. The road back to your normal fitness levels after only three weeks off seems a lot longer than in any of the other Martial Arts I have practiced. Is this down to BJJ being harder on the body or my ever increasing age? At Thirty years old, I do seem to be feeling it a lot more than when I was only Twenty Five, training to fight in Muay Thai and not even eating properly.

I've felt like I've been in a slump for a while now and I'm hoping this blog will be the beginning of my rise out of it. I plan, though I don't know how long I'll keep it up for, to go to class with a very good idea of what I want to work on as simply turning up and practicing doesn't seem to be enough right now.

I've recently noticed that I have real problems controlling people's posture in my guard so this is something that I am going to be actively working on tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Hooray! This will definitely be a handy tool if you manage to keep it up. I look forward to more! :)

    It would also be interesting to hear about your time in other martial arts, if you ever get a chance to write about those.

    ReplyDelete