Friday 28 May 2010

Surgery and the inevitable recovery period

As I write this I am coming up to my fifth week of recovery after having what I thought was going to be simple surgery. Having a Cyst and Abcess removed seems like pretty standard every day stuff right? Apparently not when the afore mentioned nasties are in hard to reach and rather embarrassing places. The Cyst itself was just at the bottom of my spine inside the crack of my backside but the abcess was deeper and ran down to my Coccyx. They also cut out 'potental Cysts'; leaving me with a 10 inches of stitches and the inability to sit down for several weeks.

Just when I was on the mend we discovered a cavity behind the main wound that hadn't healed and was filling up with fluid. This led to my backside swelling up like a Raspberry on the day after I could finally sit down again and being too tender to even touch. After several days of having the wound packed and dressed every day it was decided that I needed to have this machine plugged into my back to constantly drain the fluid out of the hole, giving it a chance to heal. The idea is that they attach a tube to some sponge that is used to pack the wound. But the sponge is a good couple of inches shorter than the cavity. As the fluid is draining, the cavity heals up to the sponge and when I got back to the Hospital, they'll repack it with another slightly smaller piece of sponge. Today's visit showed that there has been a good 2-3 inches of healing in what appears to be an 8 inch cavity so I'm hopeful that I'll finally be fully recovered by next week and can finally get back to some kind of training.

No comments:

Post a Comment